Sunday, November 6, 2016

One More Pretty Paint

In addition to perusing HI2's livery horses and the auction horses from time to time, my sisters and I have also taken to checking out the horses in the ranch stores. This is - you may recall - how we found Lily's dream horse, Forte the sooty palomino Hanoverian. Not only are we keeping an eye out for Bethany's and Julie's dream horses, but we also look at breeds we don't have in our herd but really like. (For us, this means means breeds like the Argentine Polo Pony, Datong, Plateau Persian, Rocky Mountain Horse, and Standardbred.) And occasionally we - well, I, anyway - look at horses we have no business looking at.

This mare was one of those. You know me, though. I love horses with spots. And as it happened, all three of my sisters already had an American Paint Horse, but I was sadly lacking. I felt out of the loop. So when I saw this gorgeous 6/6 +93 mare for sale for a measly $30k, I couldn't help it. I pounced. 


Just let her spectacular spotting and that magnificent mane sink in for a moment! <3 Really, now, how was I supposed to resist? She's also the first horse in our herd to have the "Milquetoast" persona. "Milquetoast" is an adjective used to describe a very timid, meek, unassertive person. The word comes from the name of a 1930's comic strip character with this persona, Caspar Milquetoast. His creator, Harold T. Webster, described him as "the man who speaks softly and gets hit with a big stick." 

(Don't worry, girl, we would never dream of mistreating you! *Hugs horse*)

Her avatar couldn't capture the work of art that is her mane, of course, but it's still very cute. I'm not sure what happened with this first screenshot...


Yikes! What is that around Pepsi's knee?
Let's try that again...

Gone. Whew!
inverse pinto spotting pattern, white mane, and solid-colored tail
For comparison's sake, here are my sisters' APH's:

Lysithea, Bethany's gray splashed white mare
sabino-like avatar with a white tail
Zephyr, Lily's cremello sabino stallion
simple sabino avatar
Kaleidoscope, Julie's bay silver dapple tobiano mare
avatar: regular pinto spotting pattern, white legs and muzzle, white mane and tail
So now our herd has a Paint in splashed white, sabino, tobiano, and tovero (which is, if you care, a combination of tobiano and overo patterns). The only paint spotting pattern missing: frame overo! (On HI2's APH's, frame overo is simply called "overo," though technically splashed white, sabino, and frame overo are all forms of overo.) Maybe someday we'll get one of these in the herd too!


An random overo stallion from the BBB
avatar: regular pinto spotting pattern, solid colored mane and tail
We certainly wouldn't refuse a calico or medicine hat either, but like that's ever going to happen. XD

A random calico mare from the BBB
avatar: inverse pinto spotting pattern, white mane and tail
A random medicine hat stallion from the BBB
Avatar: no spots at all! He looks like a pale cremello sabino.
Okay, enough of that. Back to the new mare. I'm still in the process of naming her. My first idea, Quodlibet, doesn't make it through the filter, and I don't know if I should even suggest it be added. (Quodlibet. noun. a lighthearted medley of well-known tunes. But would anyone but me ever want to use it?)

And which color tack? I think I've narrowed it down to either a yellow, a pastel purple, or a pastel green theme. Hmm...



No comments:

Post a Comment