Saturday, May 2, 2015

An Earthshaking Day

You probably think I'm going to tell you that we finally have captured 6/6 stallion on HI2. Like this stallion, perhaps:



Unfortunately, we have not. April came and went, and still no 6/6 wild stallion. This means Lily's going to win our contest, but she won't get her companions until somebody finally finds a 6/6 wild stallion. Seriously, where are they all hiding?

So what's with the stallion above? Well, I found him in the auctions the other day. He was going to the foreign bidder for only ~ $30k. Nobody else had bid with less than a minute left. I couldn't resist - it would be such a waste for him to leave HI2 forever. We haven't decided yet if we will keep him or send him on to the humane society for some lucky player to stumble upon. I guess we'll see how May plays out.

Back to the title of the post. Today literally was an earthshaking day here in the mitten. It happened at about 12:20 this afternoon. I was upstairs with Mom in her room. (Mom brought me up there to spend one-on-one time with me on my birthday back on April 21... and what can I say? My sisters and I always milk it a bit.) 

So, anyway, there we were on Mom's bed. I was snoozing against two ridiculously soft stuffed lambs. Mom was snuggled under a blanket typing one of her stories on her laptop. Then the house started shaking! This woke me up in a big hurry. The window, the TV mounted on the wall, and various other wall hangings rattled like crazy. It is sort of like what happens when a big garbage truck or thunder shakes the house, but this seemed more intense and kept steadily on for a good 30 seconds or so. Long enough for Mom to get up, walk to the window and look out at the seemingly oblivious neighbors outside, and start thinking she'd better get off the second story. Just as she disappeared down the hall to find her mom and sister, the shaking tapered off.  

The internet was initially quite unhelpful. It took a good 10 minutes at least before my sisters, who were in the basement all this time, could find any information about it on their laptops. But an earthquake did happen, alright, and we weren't the only ones who took notice.



It was a 4.2 on the Richter scale, which means it is considered "light." While felt by most people, earthquakes of this magnitude usually cause minimal to no damage. Even so, this earthquake is the most significant one to occur here in Michigan in decades, so people will be talking about it for quite a while. I'm glad I got to witness it, though I'm with Lily when she said she never hopes to witness anything stronger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment